Milford Historically
Some info collected from Milford’s High School yearbook ads
Compiled by Barry Bird
1873 – Milford established.
1880 – Utah Southern Railroad Extension 1871 – 1881 (began operations in Milford May 15, 1880)
1st Railroad depot built in Milford
John D. Williams & John H. Latey build William’s Hotel on NW corner of Stoddard & Central Streets.
Smithson Hotel built by Marion P. Smithson on Main St. Later referenced as Shae Zabriskie parlor house
& recreation center, and prior to that referenced as the Peterson House. Demolition date unknown.
1881 – Utah Central Railway 1881 – 1889 (began operations in Milford 1881)
1887 – Palmer House, Milford’s 1st dedicated school house built (about 1887) on today’s City Office Grounds.
1889 – Oregon Short Line & Utah Northern Railway 1889 – 1897 (began operations in Milford 1889)
1890 – May 21, Passenger depot burned down, also destroyed was; Jelliff House, Kilpatrick Bros & Collins
store, Consolidated Implement Company, A.G. Campbell’s warehouse, Engineers Office, another
warehouse, two saloons and a stable. From the following newspaper article:
The depot at Milford burned yesterday a complete loss and as can be ascertained nothing was saved.
The operator remained at his key until driven away by the flames.
(Pritchard, Salt Lake Daily Tribune, (from page 5), 22 May 1890)
July 7, Freight depot which was near the railroad roundhouse destroyed by fire.
1891 – 2nd Railroad depot built
1894 – Tanner House built
1897 – Oregon Short Line Railroad 1881 – 1987 (began operations in Milford 1897)
1901 – San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad 1901 – 1916 (began operations in Milford 1901)
1902 – Forgie Hotel is built by John F. Forgie (1851-1911)
1903 – Milford Incorporated
1904 – 1st Atkin Hotel burned to the ground, rebuilt May 1904 (1st stage 15 rooms) by Annie J. Atkin
1905 – Two story school building built on Palmer House / L.D.S. church / today’s City Office grounds.
Palmer House (1st Milford school house) moved to NE corner of 3rd Ave & Main St. (empty lot today).
1906 – Jefferson’s Market opened – about 1983 closed doors
1908 – Milford State Bank building constructed on Main Street next door (south) of the Tanner House.
July 4th Milford Streets get 1st electric lights
1911 – January 2nd , Forgie Hotel burns to the ground. John F. Forgie (owner / builder) dies in fire.
1912 – Milford Elementary school constructed.
1913 – Hotel Milford is built (on same spot as burned Forgie Hotel) by Mary Ann (Mollie) Forgie Hanks,
(1882-1975) daughter of John F. Forgie and wife of Heber. T. Hanks, (1876-1938).
Atkin Hotel 2nd stage of rebuild – 30 additional rooms.
1915 – High School building constructed.
Two story school house building at Stoddard and Center streets converted to Sloan Apartments.
1916 – Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad 1916 – 1987 (Name change dropped San Pedro name)
1919 – Atkin Hotel 3rd stage of rebuild – 30 more rooms
1921 – Union Pacific RR officially begins operations in Milford
Victory Theater, 1920 & 22, (beginning & ending years unknown, these years are from yearbook ads)
Ad reads “Milford, Minersville & Beaver “Home of 1st –run-pictures”
Photo-to-player music F. Clark Kestler, Proprietor”
Kinema Theater, 1922, (beginning and ending years unknown, this year is from a yearbook ad)
Ad reads “We show the best that are made Paramount, United Artist, Metro Goldwin, Fox”.
1922 – Odd Fellows Hall built on Main street (or renovated existing building with new façade)
– still exists today
1923 – 3rd railroad depot built. This depot is the depot Milfordites were so disappointed to see demolished.
1933 – L.D.S. Church building built (now city offices) using stones from Murdock Academy in Beaver
1937 – Firmage Theater, 407 So Main, 1937, 1st ad in Milford yearbook, last yearbook ad in 1967
1938 – Hughes Style Shop and Floral, 1938, 1st ad shows up in Milford yearbook
1944 – Sam’s Furniture business begins, 1st ad in yearbook 1947, last yearbook ad 2004
1946 – Tanner House demolished.
1953 – Honk Kong Café, (1953 1st yearbook ad appears) closed doors about 2005
1955 – Milford went to 7-digit phone #’s, replaced party lines & hand crank boxes with modern system
1956 Milford State Bank building built 1908 demolished for construction of new building.
1974 – Construction of new high school gymnasium
1980 – Union Pacific RR builds current depot in Milford
Milford State Bank – replaced by Walker Bank, same building.
1982 – 1st Interstate Bank replaced Walker Bank, same building
1995 – Construction of new High School building.